Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto with Italian Sausage & Feta
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced<br /><br />
- 1 small onion, finely chopped<br /><br />
- 6 cups chicken stock<br /><br />
- 1½ cups of arborio rice<br /><br />
- 1 clove or garlic, minced<br /><br />
- 10 fresh sage leaves<br /><br />
- 3 Italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled<br /><br />
- 100 grams feta*<br /><br />
- butter<br /><br />
- olive oil<br /><br />
- salt and pepper<br /><br />
Preheat oven to 425F
Place squash on a parchment sheet lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with coarse sea salt and top with sage leaves. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
Heat stock on low.
Melt butter over medium heat and saute onions until soft, then add in garlic and cook for one minute.
Add rice and cook for one to two minutes to toast rice. Reduce to low heat and begin adding in one ladle of hot stock at a time. Allow the stock to evaporate each time, before adding in more.
In the meantime when the squash is ready separate the sage leaves for garnish, and roughly mash the squash.
In a skillet cook the sausage removed from casing. Set aside and keep warm.
Gently fold in mashed squash to the cooked risotto. Season with salt and white pepper.
To plate, spoon risotto into a low bowl then top with cooked sausage, crumbled feta, and crispy sage.