Hello All! It’s me your favorite delinquent blogger… It has been a while, since I shared a recipe with you all and I thought it was about time I give my blog a little attention. AND what is a better welcome back that a delicious, easy spinach and mushroom pasta recipe?! If there is anything better than pasta I can not think of it!
I know we are all inching towards summer, and probably thinking more BBQ less pasta. But my love for pasta runs deep and is not bothered by things like rising temperatures.
And honestly I do not really understand why people think ohh it’s too hot for pasta. Yes avoid the heavy sauces, but will all the fresh vegetables available I can’t help but think summer is the best time for pasta. I know my large basil plant definitely agrees!
PASTA IN SUMMER? YAY OR NAY?
Keep it light and fresh with lots of vegetables and fresh herbs. Pasta is always a guarantee to have a tastier dinner! Bonus for summertime cooking most pasta recipes, including this one, that won’t have you turning on your oven or spending much time getting it on the table.
Spinach and Mushroom Pasta | Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
This past Friday night seemed like the perfect night to have a little Italian feast to celebrate the end of another week.
Some parmesan from Italy that I was gifted, a glass of Prosecco, fresh basil from the garden and of course pasta… Perfetto!
The good people at Barilla generously provided me with samples of their fine range of pastas to prepare some delicious dishes. Boxed pasta can be hit and miss, but there is a reason Barilla is a top imported brand from Italy. They know what good pasta is and make it easy for us humble home cooks to enjoy!
I used Barilla’s rigatoni for the spinach and mushroom pasta we had for dinner. It was sooo sooo good! The rigatoni pasta was the perfect choice to hold the light sauce and melting parmesan. Lots of spinach added a healthy depth to the dish, and the fresh basil tossed throughout added a spicy freshness.
With just a little bit of cream, some finely shredded cheese and a splash of the water from cooking the pasta I created a light sauce to gently coat the pasta, but didn’t overwhelm.
It was a perfect Friday night dinner (easy and can be prepared with a glass of wine in hand) but would certainly be delicious any night of the week! This pasta dish is a lot of wow, without much fuss and certainly earned rave reviews around our table.
Hope you enjoy!
SPINACH AND MUSHROOM PASTA
- 4 cups rigatoni pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup reserved pasta water
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking in large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion stirring frequently, for about 3 min until soft. Stir in thyme. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, for about 8 min or until starting to brown. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Gradually stir in pasta water and cream, then add in spinach; cook just until spinach is wilted. Add cheese and basil; toss through cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, top with additional Parmesan if desired.