You may be wondering what is so cheeky about pairing rosé wine with cod burgers. Perhaps that the pairing is so delicious you can not help but have a cheeky grin while enjoying this. Well you would be partially right. The fish burger is delightful and the rosé I’m going to introduce you is fantastic. This is perhaps my favorite pairing since joining the #winePW crew. Before I get to far, and in case you have missed my previous #winePW posts, just what is #winePW?
Wine Pairing Weekend, also known by its Twitter handle #winePW, is a group of food and wine bloggers who gather together every month to share food and wine pairings. The theme varies every month and is chosen by that month’s host.
Our host this month Nancy, from Pull That Cork, is a true rosé lover and wanted to highlight how food friendly rosé wines can be. A chance for us food and wine lovers to help push you out of your comfort zone and experience with rosé this summer. At the end of the post I have included a collection of recipes and wine pairings from my fellow bloggers that you really must take the time to explore!
Back to my experimenting with food and rosé…
I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and decided to cook something I had not cooked before. Yes, we are getting to that cheeky part. While you may be thinking those look like a cod burger, and what kind of east coaster hasn’t cook cod before?! I have cooked cod many times, but I have never cooked cod CHEEKS before.
Yes! Let me introduce you.
CHEEKY COD BURGER
Cheeky Cod Burger + Rosé Wine Pairing | Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
The creamy, richness of the cod cheek, the airy crisp batter, topped off with a soft bun. Oh my we were heaven. Talk about a treat! This was my first time experimenting with cod cheeks and you can be assured it will not be the last.
To some fish cheeks may not sound overly appealing… And that’s okay because it just leaves more for the rest of us! Once you give them a try you will understand why they are considered a delicacy. In fact if I was going to compare them to anything they are almost giant scallop like.
CHEEKY COD BURGERS
- 10 cod cheeks
- 1 cup flour1 cup beer
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white, whipper
- pinch salt & pepper
- sunflower oil
- 10 soft small buns
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic purée
- Mix together flour, corn starch, egg yolk, beer and salt and pepper. Add in egg white. Set side for 5 minutes.
- Drunk cod cheeks in batter and coat well.
- Over medium heat on the stove top, place the oil in a dutch oven pot. Heat oil until a bread crumb fries in 20 seconds.
- Cook cod cheeks in batches as to not over crowd in the pot. Cook until batter is brown, approximately 5 minutes.Remove and set on paper towel
- In a small mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, parsley and garlic mixing well.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture on to buns and place one cod cheek in the bun.
- Serve with sweet potato chips.