Chickpea & pancetta fritters with maple chile yogurt and a green salad is an easy weeknight dinner that fills your plate with veggies. Perfect for those nights when all you want to do is open a bottle of Pinot Noir, but still be healthy!
Please tell I am not the only one who has those days that when it comes to dinner you can not think past opening a bottle of wine?! I’m not, I know I’m not. It just can not be.
More often than I would like to admit I find myself sitting at my dining room table, with a glass of wine in hand, glazing into my little kitchen willing dinner to appear. Or even just an idea for dinner, anything kitchen fairy I’m not picky! But if I were to be picky I would prefer something easy, with a few veggies to meet that pesky half your plate requirement. This means my go-to of pasta is generally off the table, or at least I try to keep it off the table!!
Looking down at the fur children curdled up to my feet I think how lucky they are – dinner is predetermined each and every night for them. I suppose it works for me as well, as I just have to figure out dinner for the humans in the house. This is where the crossroad appears: do I cook dinner? Or do I have popcorn or cheese and almonds? I’ve been trying to get out of the routine of eating popcorn for dinner. Yes it is a routine, that is what happens when the lovely husband is away a lot.
My recent cure for popcorn dinners has been fritters. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fritters. Broccoli parmesan fritters from Smitten Kitchen are a go-to. Ottolenghi’s cauliflower and cumin fritters so damn good. And since we are talking unplanned weekday dinners, my own creations of whatever I happen to have in the fridge. A few veggies, some cheese and spices, all topped off with dollop of yogurt make for a fantastic dinner and make this girl very happy. Less time in the kitchen, means more time for wine. I believe that is what they refer to as a win-win.
And check out this plate, definitely more than half filled with veggies… I guess that would be a win-win-win!
And the best part of these fritters is that they taste even better with a glass of Pinot Noir! So open a bottle of wine and give these fritters a try, you will not be disappointed.
- 1 cup diced pancetta
- 1 - 14 oz can chick peas
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chile powder, mild
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a fry pan cook pancetta until crisp. Remove from pan to cool and set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk egg and then whisk in milk, parsley and cumin. Add flour and salt, and mix until combined and no lumps remain. Stir in chickpeas and pancetta.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil (Sunflower or Vegetable) into a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, add 2 tbsp batter for each fritter. Fry the fritters in batches, so you don't overcrowding the pan. Fry for 5-7 minutes until the fritters are golden brown, turn only once. Add more oil as needed.
- To make the yogurt, mix the yogurt, maple syrup, red chiles, lemon juice and chile powder. Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Serve with a green salad and Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir.
Hope you enjoy and let me know what is your favorite weekday dinner when all you want is a glass of wine?
Help Me Get To Paris…
Friends I have entered my very first bloggers competition!! That’s right this recipe is part of Cono Sur’s Food Bloggers Competition. I would be greatly appreciate if you took a few moments to vote for my recipe. Please, please, pretty please! The Grand Prize is a trip to Paris (amazing!!) to compete in the finale with food bloggers from around the world. Voting is only open to Canadian residents, so if you find yourself in Canada I would love a vote for my fritters!! Check out my Facebook or Twitter page if you’d like to share the entry on your social media. If I could cook for each and every vote I would!!