Is it just me or do your eating habits change drastically once the weather heats up?
Since we don’t have an air conditioner and it can get quite hot here, for us it is all about not turning on the oven. Which means dinner, becomes all about making the most out of fresh vegetables, vibrant salads, and most importantly grilling. While we eat a lot of salad, I like to mix things up with cabbage slaw. Cabbage is actually one of my favorite vegetables, yup I’m officially a weirdo.
Oh and when it is hot I want dinner to be quick, like really quick. During those months of cold weather I am completely okay spending a day making a sauce or stew. But when I’m feeling hot, I would much rather be relaxing in the backyard then spending time in the kitchen.
Right now I am absolutely loving this easy cabbage slaw for ticking all those boxes!
Just 6 ingredients. Check.
And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love the crunch of ramen noodles?? I know this girl can’t resist them.
A quick chopping of vegetables, or even easier with a vegetable shredder (I’m obsessed with my T-Fal Fresh Express), and you have a summer ready side dish that will make a delicious, colorful addition to your dinner plate.
- ½ medium red cabbage
- 3 medium carrots
- ½ package of ramen noodles
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Break up the ramen noodles and spread out on a baking sheet, with almonds. Place in oven until just toasted and slightly brown, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To prep the vegetables: Core and finely slice the cabbage. Peel and shred the carrot. Place in a medium mixing bowl or salad bowl.
- In a small bowl mix sour cream and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix vegetables, with sour cream and toss through ramen noodles and almonds.
- Serve immediately.
Also any leftovers will keep for a day or two in the fridge, but it is best to save ramen separately to maintain the crunch.
This humble slaw, with it’s six pantry staple ingredients, is hands down my favorite side dish at the moment!
It is so versatile, looks bright on your plate, and goes with anything you are serving up this summer.
Hope you enjoy as much as we do!