It is that time of year again when my BBQ is starting to work overtime! While I have been known to BBQ in the snow, as soon as the weather starts to get a little warmer and the last of the snow melts away, it is time to turn off the oven for the season, and turn on the BBQ.
Does anything smell better than a BBQ? You know those tempting aromas wafting through the air, over the fences, and around the neighbourhood. Tempting you, letting you know that someone is grilling and you should probably be doing the same.
I love that smell. I love this time in May, when it reappears after a long winter and delights the senses.
Ummm… Someone is BBQing…
There are no sweeter words spoken.
Over the past few years I have become some what obsessed with my barbecue. There is something very intriguing about BBQ, smokers and the culture around it. Really spice rubs, tender meats that fall off the bone, juicy burgers, and grilled veggies with blistered skins that reveal a whole new flavor profile – what is not to love?!
The thing about BBQ is that it is very simple, but not necessarily easy. They are actually pretty intimidating to most. Fire, heat, grill. Simple right? But what happens when you can’t get the fire to take? I wish I had some magical answers to make seem easy, my best advice is to start with the basics and take your time. If you want the results, you need to be patient, do a little reading and practice a lot, but once you get the BBQ mastered ohhh does it reward you!
So go on grab the tongs, throw on a novelty apron and become your family’s pit master! I promise it is a lot of fun!!! And a great place to start is with these oh so easy, oh so good bison sliders…
Every time we make these bison sliders I have to force myself to stop after two!! The good thing is that bison is a much leaner red meat compared to beef, and a great source of omega 3’s. Yay I’m telling you something that looks that good is actually healthy for you. These bison sliders are full of flavor and just a little bit of heat thanks to the addition of the red chile flakes.
Since the bison is a lean meat, you do have to be careful not to over cook the sliders as they will dry out quickly. Keep the heat around 400F, flip after four minutes and you should come out looking like a master pit master. Don’t be afraid to open the lid of the BBQ or leave it slightly ajar. Have fun and experiment, because at the end of the afternoon it is just a BBQ and no need to take it too seriously…
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp red chile flakes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together and form into 8 patties.
- Set patties into the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes, but can be made up to 8 hours in advance.
- Heat BBQ to 400F, with an oiled grill.
- Sear the sliders for approximately 4 minutes each slide, until your desired doneness.
- Move to indirect heat and top with havarti cheese, allow to melt.
- To assemble sliders, spread special sauce on the top and bottom of the buns, add a slice of tomato and lettuce.
The special sauce is a little nod to my Mom. When we were growing up she would always make ‘special sauce’ for burger night. It was a simple combo of mayo and ketchup, and we loved it! This special sauce has a little more going on, but is seriously addictive. This sauce is the prefect burger condiment for the summer backyard BBQs. Chicken, beef, veggie, fish… no matter your burger choice, this sauce is the topping you need.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp diced butter pickles
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together.
With some fresh grilled corn, the bison sliders make for a delightfully delicious, easy meal in the backyard. And a great way to host family and friends to welcome another summer!
Need some more grilling inspiration? Well the Sunday Supper Tastemakers have you covered this week with a huge list of grilling recipes to help you become the pitmaster in your family.
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.