Fresh, ripe figs are so flavourful and tender, that they do not require much fussing about to put something remarkable on the dinner table.
All I can say is if you do not get what the fuss is about fresh figs, then you are not eating them right.
Me – I can not get enough of fresh figs!!
I try my best to eat locally sourced food, but when fresh figs from Australia and South Africa appear in the produce aisle for a few weeks in April and May they are the one imported fruit that I can not pass up. I may or may not have squealed with joy when I saw fresh figs a few weeks ago. Black mission figs are in season in Canada and the United States late Summer/early Fall, which makes these international figs a ‘Welcome to Spring’ bonus treat after the bleakness of Winter.
With just a handful of ingredients, and 10 minutes, you can have this luscious dessert on your table as a sweet treat after dinner, which makes this dessert perfect for weekday dinners when you a short on time. It is also a great dessert to end the weekend and your family Sunday supper.
Be warned though it is a dangerous thing to learn how easy this dessert is, especially the sugared walnuts. Oh my are they good!!! The walnuts are a slightly bitter, crunchy balance to the sweetness of the tender figs. I would suggest making extra walnuts, because you won’t be able to resist sneaking a few as you plate up this dessert.
The simplicity of this dessert makes it ideal for hosting a crowd, as it is for backyard BBQs, but the sensational flavors make this dessert a special treat whenever you serve it.
Treat your tastebuds with this scrumptious dessert!
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 8 ripe black figs, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp Clement rum
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup walnuts, halved
- Preheat oven 425F.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves together. Dip the figs, cut side down, in the sugar mixture to coat. Then repeat to coat the figs a second time with the sugar mixture and arrange cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the walnut pieces in a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon of water to coat, add the remaining sugar and toss to coat evenly. Place on baking sheet with figs.
- Roast the figs and walnuts for 8-10 minutes, or until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize and the figs soften slightly and begin to ooze their juice.
- In the meantime, mix mascarpone, Clement rum, and sugar. Set aside.
- Carefully transfer 4 fig pieces and walnuts evenly divided to each dessert plate. Spoon a dollop of mascarpone cheese on top and serve warm.
If you wish to omit the rum, mix honey with the mascarpone.
Welcome Spring 2016 with Sunday Supper!
Melting snow, blooming flowers and trees, and greening grass means spring is here and everything is coming to life! There is nothing so wonderful as grilling on the deck, enjoying a drink on the patio, and soaking in all the new life that is surrounding you!
Let’s bring some of that life to the Sunday supper table with this collection of delicious recipes from Sunday Supper Movement members:
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Lemon Raspberry Baked Donuts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica’s Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lavender Lemon Cocktail by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Ravioli with Morel Cream Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Dijon Balsamic Herb Glaze by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lebanese Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu’s Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Sesame Ginger Seared Ahi Coconut Tacos by Simply Healthy Family
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake by Angels Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake by Sweet Mornings
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Spring Vegetable Minestrone and more Spring Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.