How is one little hour causing so much fuss?
After turning the clocks ahead one hour this weekend if your household is anything like mine at the moment, it is a little sleepy, a little confused and a lot off schedule. It is only one hour, but each spring it manages to cause a lot of fuss. Sort like jet lag, just without the fun of a vacation.
Waking up a little later on Sunday didn’t seem as restful, and trying to get to sleep at a reasonable time last night was impossible as I stared at the clock, cursing the time change. Knowing Monday morning might be a little challenging I thought I would give myself a fighting chance by making a batch of kale & bacon muffins for a readymade Monday morning breakfast.
Don’t get me wrong I actually like changing clocks. It signals the end of Winter and longer evenings (wooo hoooo). In the Fall you get an extra hour of sleep (hurray) and in my misspent youth it meant the bars (Mom you can read that as library) would skirt the laws and stay open an extra hour. Changing the clocks is just something you do, it means the change of seasons (AND that line is for the lovely husband who being from Saskatchewan is silly & does not believe in day light savings).
Okay let’s get back to these breakfast muffins. Aside from soup, like my chicken soup or Italian wedding soup, these muffins are one of the only ways I’m okay with eating kale. As much as I try, I do not like kale. Kale chips are basically a form of torture for me yuck! Maybe it is the light fluffy muffin that distracts me, or the bacon, or the cheese, whatever it is I like kale in these muffins. I have tried to make them with spinach and did not like them as much. Go figure!! Curing time change blues and kale phobias in one bite the muffins must be magical.
These delicious, savory muffins smell amazing while baking in the oven. Who doesn’t want to wake up on a Sunday morning to the scrumptious aroma of fresh baking muffins!? While I love these as a weekend treat, and they make a great addition to any brunch potluck, what I really LOVE is having a batch of these muffins in the fridge for easy weekday mornings.
I love them as they are, but if you are feeling a bit spicy try topping a muffin with some salsa for a little extra kick in the morning.
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2 medium sized eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 cup old cheddar, grated
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat pan over medium heat and cook bacon for 5 minutes until crispy, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil and then add kale. Blanche kale for 3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking, drain and use your hand to squeeze out as much water as possible. Transfer to a chopping board, and finely chop.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, baking powder and most of the cheese in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients and stir, using a spatula, until just combined. Fold in the cooled bacon, chopped kale until combined but the batter is still lumpy*
- Spoon the mixture into lined muffin tin, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on wire rack, before serving.
**Can serve with sour cream or salsa if you desire a topping.